My dad is the greatest. Some of the fondest memories I have of him are at family functions, usually held at Grandma Sue's. She's infamous for taking pictures... has to capture ever moment on film, so you can imagine constant pictures get a little old. (Luckily, now that I am older, I can appreciate it a little bit more.) However - my dad was always the one to step in right behind Grandma and make all sorts of funny faces to get us to smile. No shame. The life of the party. The class clown. Always good for a laugh. I know him for his awkward goodbye's on the phone. Not til I was older did I realize how hysterical it is:
Me: Alright, Dad, I'll talk to ya later.
Dad: OK. Well.
Me: OK.
Dad: OK, yep. Well we'll talk to ya later.
Me: Alright. Love you.
Dad: Yep. Love you too. OK. Bye.
Me: Bye.
Dad: Bye.
(Ask Kelli or Corry if you don't believe me. They can give you the conversation, verbatim).
And every time we get off the phone, we all just crack up, because it's so predictable.
I love the way he lights up whenever we visit. Having kids takes our relationship to a whole new level. Just last weekend, we went out to visit him, and help him clean up around the house. As soon as we got there, he said, "Ooh. I think I might have some work to do." Next thing I knew, he, both kids, his dog, Oz, and our dog, Louis, were all piled in the tractor, and were driving up and down the road, mowing the weeds alongside it. It's so amazing to see my kids enjoying the things I did, as a child, with him, and I love that he loves to do it.
I feel so blessed to call him my dad. I love him so much and I don't know what I'd do without him. Happy Father's Day Dad.
No comments:
Post a Comment