Aug 28, 2010

Telling Jokes?

This is sort of one of those "You had to be there..." moments. It's not that funny to hear when I tell it, or to read it for that matter, but I wanted to document it because Haylie has never told a joke before.

On the way back from the fair yesterday, Haylie broke the silence by saying, "OH MAN!" Joe and I both looked back at her, alarmed and asked her what was the matter. She got this concerned look on her face, clicked her tongue and said, "I forgot my headband." We asked her where, she sighed and said, "In the shopping cart." (We'd stopped at Walmart after the fair.)

I said, "Bummer Hay. Wait, no you didn't. There wasn't anything in the cart when we put it away."

So she said in a ho-hum voice, "Oh. Welllll I guess I left it at the fair then."
Joe said, "That's too bad Haylie."

A few minutes had passed when Haylie said, "Juuuuust kidding. I have it right here. Aaaah... ohhh man."

We laughed so hard at first and then we'd randomly start laughing all the way home. I don't think either Joe or I really expected her to come up with a joke, even as small as it was. It amazes me to think how the mind works in such a little girl. I think she's a lot smarter than I give her credit for.

No comments: