May 10, 2011

Counting down the days…

When we were deciding on our big move to Wyoming, one of my main concerns was Haylie. Her school, teacher, friends, ROUTINE, and attitude were all things that I knew were going to change. I grew up in a tiny town my entire life and never had to change schools, other than going from elementary to middle, and middle to high school. Everyone kept telling me, “Oh, don’t worry about it. It’s just kindergarten. She won’t even miss a beat.” But let me tell you- it has been ROUGH. Today I got a phone call from one of the office ladies saying that Haylie wanted to come home because she had a sore on her upper lip. Last week she told me that it was too hot in her classroom. Her second day she said she didn’t want to go back because the monkey bars hurt her hands. Another day, she had a tummy ache. Her attitude is rotten! It is a constant struggle to get her to do anything! Before, she was up and at ‘em, getting ready for school, eager to get to her class and her favorite teacher. Most days she’d stop mid-sprint and come running back for hugs and kisses. Here, we fight over clothes, breakfast, jacket or no jacket, etc. etc. It’s driving me crazy! Granted, I know she is going through a big change and she probably doesn’t really know just why she is acting the way she is acting. I am trying to be patient with her and am trying to be understanding… I had a really hard time with the move, so I can only imagine what a 5 year old must be going through. The other day, I was invited to a little activity at her school called “Muffins for Moms” in honor of Mother’s Day. It was so sweet! I was late because I was stuck without a car, and when I finally got there, she just gave me a little smile. We argued when it was time to go and in the car on the way home. I’m getting SO frustrated with this “new” Haylie. I want my old Haylie back. We’ve got 3.5 weeks of school left… they better fly!

P1050249

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I think she is dealing with things pretty well considering. She tries to be tough and hide her emotions, and then all her feelings come out in her behavior. We are so glad to have her here and be able to get to know her better. She will finally get adjusted and then school will end :) Love you guys, hang in there!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your new blog layout!!!sorry things are rough...i hope they get better soon!

Dedre said...

oh man..what a bugger! So sorry it's been so hard. I'm with you though, I'm wishing school would just end already!!!

Elisabeth said...

It's always tough to move to a new place and a new school. She'll be okay, she's a trooper! Love you guys, can't wait to see you!