May 15, 2011

Sunday Drive…

Today we took a drive South of Rawlins to a place called Bridger Pass. It’s basically just a bunch of wild land, out in the middle of nowhere. But it was SO pretty!

All over Wyoming are Antelope. There are actually more Antelope in the state of Wyoming, than people (563,626). Or so I’ve been told. These two were right on the side of the road when we drove by and we got some really good, close-up pictures.

P1050611

P1050617

We also saw about 15 deer. They are still shedding their winter coat, so they look pretty scraggly. But again, they were RIGHT there! And they’re all over town as well; we see them eating grass and bushes and plants out of peoples’ yards. I was just telling Joe the other day that I hope I don’t ever get tired of seeing deer… They really are majestic.

P1050623

We pulled over to this little spot where there was still a bunch of snow so Haylie, Connor and the dogs could get out and run around. Haylie had been BEGGING us to stop at some snow so she could play in it. When we got out, Maggie had a bit of a soggy bottom, so we stripped her (hence the diaper and pants in hand). She was happy as a clam to be airing out!

P1050629

P1050630

See? There really is life in Wyoming!

P1050633

I really love my Lady. She makes me so happy. I love to see her so happy. The last couple of times we’ve taken her out to explore new territory, for a few minutes she has become a puppy again. I made her sit right here for a picture because the sky was incredible today. It was so blue and the combination of the blue and the clouds was just breathtaking… I just couldn’t stop.

P1050634

You can just barely see the look of pure joy on Haylie’s face. Lady got excited all of a sudden and took off on a dead sprint (notice the muddy “pootfrints”) and Haylie just stood there and laughed. I love it.

P1050637

Now, how can you not like this face? Doesn’t he look grown up? I don’t know why, but I just don’t see a little boy in this picture…

P1050639

Another picture of my favorites of the day: Lady and the blue sky.

P1050643

This is about all I got of Lucy for the day. She took off as son as we got there and only showed her face (briefly) once or twice. She had much more important things to do like chase birds.

P1050644

Too funny! Haylie was throwing rocks in the little reservoir there. I just happened to look over as she was throwing this gigantic, circular rock out into the water. I didn’t think much of it until it floated back up to the top. And then I knew… I said, “Um, Haylie? That’s cow poop.” In the first picture she’s looking at her hands for any sign of poop. The second, she’s looking at the floating pie in the water and the third she got a little embarrassed. (Oh and for the record… I did not dress her today. Personally, I wouldn’t have put hiking boots with stretch pants, but that’s just me. ;)

P1050645P1050646P1050647

The only other time we saw Lucy, was while the kids were throwing rocks in the water. She was off about a half a mile away when, I’m guessing, she heard the rocks hitting the water. All of a sudden, we saw her at the top of a hill, sprinting full blast towards the water. She jumped in, swam clear across the reservoir, and fetched a piece of wood that Connor had just thrown in.

P1050649

P1050651

This gives a better idea of where we stopped. All of the brown stuff to the left of the snow is mud. And not just a little mud… It was like pasty, orange-brown, deep, THICK mud. And all of the melt off from the snow on the mountains was flowing right to it.
Haylie has always been our explorer. She loves it. And I love watching her love it. It makes my heart happy. :)

P1050654

My favorite picture of the day.

P1050657

P1050667

Isn’t he beautiful?! Someday, I will have a million of these on a gigantic ranch… OK, maybe not a million.

P1050673

This beauty walked right up to my window and let me pet him. It seriously made my day… He loves me, I’m sure. I would have taken him home, but he wouldn’t fit in the suburban.

P1050675

What a wonderful day. So relaxing. :)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

You have to love that Wyoming Sky...So big. Great pictures Cassi, looks like you guys had an awesome time!

mom said...

Your pictures are, as usual, fabulous! I seriously want you to pursue some classes...!

Chelsea Rivas said...

You guys look so happy!.......and that makes me so mad!

Just kidding.

Great pictures. It kills me that you're so far away.

meagan said...

Cass, I was just thinking of you today. Hope that things are going good for you guys and that you are starting to really feel like WY was the right move! Hopefully we can see you this summer!