Mar 8, 2012

Connor’s “New” Dresser

When we sold our house, I tried getting rid of as much furniture as I could; particularly furniture that I didn’t think would survive an 800 mile move. Connor’s dresser was one of those that got left behind. The drawers were breaking from the kids hanging on them over the years and it just didn’t seem like something I wanted to mess with once we got here. Plus it was made for a baby and had a changing station on it, and I thought that Connor needed a “big boy” dresser.

So- we moved the end of April, and it’s now March… poor kid. He’s been using a shelf for the last 11 months to put his clothes on and let me tell you, I am SO ECSTATIC it’s gone! His clothes were constantly OFF of the shelves, strewn all over his room and I was sick of it!

A couple weeks ago, I bought a hutch from a store that went out of business and just in passing, mentioned to the owner that I was looking for a dresser. She said she had one at her house that she was just going to throw in the trash before she moved, so naturally I jumped all over it! And it is such a great dresser! It really didn’t look all that bad the way it was, except it had holes drilled all over 2 of the drawers. (Don’t mind the mess on the table.)

 P1080453

Unfortunately, when I sanded down the paint, I saw that the drawers had laminate on the front. So, I filled all of the holes in with wood filler and then Joe and I sanded down as much as we could, without going all the way through the laminate. With a TINY bit of help from Connor, we picked out a really pretty blue and got to work!

P1080454

It took me four coats of paint, plus touch-ups afterwards, and thankfully we had two really warm days so I got to paint outside! But I’m excited to say it is finished!

P1080511

P1080528

P1080532

Ahhh. I feel like I can finally breathe! Now on to the next project!

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

very nice! :)

Dedre said...

that is so cute! I love your project posts :)

Joe Rose said...

That is one sweet dresser make-over! Nice job Cass.