When I was a kid, my mom and dad bought an antique mahogany Duncan Phyfe table and chairs at an antique store in Stanfield, OR. The set used to be beautiful, but over the years has gotten really worn from the multiple dinners, marks from us doing homework, dings from the vacuum, etc. Actually, we had another table where we ate our every day dinners, so we rarely used “the good table.” It was usually only used for parties, card playing, holidays and other special occasions. My mom got remarried a little over a year after I did, and didn’t need the set anymore, so when she asked me if I wanted it, I JUMPED FOR JOY!
Isn’t the material wonderful?!?!?! ;)
I’ve been meaning to recover the seats ever since I got it, about 5 years now, but just haven’t gotten around to it. I thought it was going to be a huge project too, which didn’t help in the motivation department. Come to find out, it IS NOT a big project.
MY MOM’S HERE!!! And my SISTER and her boyfriend CODY! (YAY!) Today, we ran over to Wal-Mart, and just happened to be walking by the fabric department, so I suggested we stop and look, just to see what they had. We found this faux leather material and we both decided it would be worth a try. So I bought a yard, brought it home and realized it would be enough to cover all 4 of my chairs. Just over $8 for a whole new look? Uh, I’ll take it! My mom helped a ton… every little move I made, I consulted her first. She’s been giving me the credit, but I totally would have screwed up if she hadn’t of been here!
The chairs and table are still pretty beat up… material doesn’t do much for that, obviously. But for now, we’ve got a whole new look for under $10!
(Sorry, bad lighting.)
I should have taken a picture of the table too, but it’ll have to wait. The only thing I wish is that I had some more of the same chairs.
So I’m thinking a creamy antique white for the table, but my sister says I should sand it down and re-stain it.
What do YOU think?
3 comments:
Love.
I'm for painting the table and chairs.
I'm in the same boat! I have a DP "set" (we bought the table and 3chairs seperately and I plan to mix and match chair styles as I find them)and I want to paint them either antiqued black or white but everyone says it's a waste and should be restained instead. What to do?!
Post a Comment