May 20, 2012

Sweet Yard Sale Find!

I LOVE YARDSALE-ING! It’s SO fun! Unfortunately, in the past, I could never get anyone to go with me. But Joe has caught the bug! Most of the time It’s WAY exciting to go with him, but sometimes I get scared. Sometimes we come home with $10 worth of yard sale “stuff” and I think… ‘Whoa. What just happened.’ And sometimes, $10 can buy a LOT of “stuff!”

A couple of weekends ago, we came to a house just a street over from us and a woman was getting rid of EVERYTHING! Like… everything. Her poor husband had just passed away in a terrible accident and she has no family left here, so she’s moving away. She wanted next to nothing for her stuff- just wanted it all gone.

Fortunately for us, we scored some cool stuff: two huge boxes of vintage trucks tractors, etc. for Connor ($5 but worth probably $100 or more), ; a couple of cute little kids chairs (FREE); a big girl bed for Maggie including a mattress, head and footboard and side rails ($2) and more! But the BEST thing I found was this cool old table for $1!!! Her husband had used it for a work table. There is grease and oil all over the top and it’s a bit stinky, but I power washed it and most of the dirt and grime came off. The water also chipped a bunch of the paint which just added some character.

P1090234

P1090236

P1090246

P1090247

It probably doesn’t look like much, but I was super excited! I had just asked Joe that morning to build me a little work table for all my paints, brushes, etc. to go on.

SCORE!

P1090249

Any ideas as to how to get thick grease off? I scrubbed it with dish soap and a scrubbing brush, but it didn’t quite get it all off…

5 comments:

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

No one but my mom ever wants to go to yard sales with me. :( Not sure my hub with ever get "the bug". Ha!

Great little table! There is an orange de-greaser my hub uses for his boat and whatnot. It's literally an orange container and the product itself is orange scented, I believe. I'll go look in the garage and see if I can find the name for you. Probably available at Lowes/Home Depot, etc.

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

Can't find it...will ask my hub. :)

Kayli @ Head Over Heels said...

Gotta love a good yard sale! And I agree, much more fun when the hubs comes along. He loves it now :)

And, liquid deglosser next to the paint thinner at Lowes will do the trick :)

Jenny said...

Oooh, that is a good find. I would definitely paint that a fun color and maybe antique it!
Modern Modest Beauty

Kylie Rose said...

Sweet table! Isn't yard saleing the best?! I just love a good find like that. Thank you for also stopping by my blog! I am so glad to have you as a viewer :) I am your newest subscriber too! I look forward to more posts,

xoxo
-Kylie