My sister-in-law Rachel is one of the most amazing people I know. She could actually be the MOST amazing person I know.
My littlest, Maggie, has claimed her as her favorite aunt. If we ever do anything with Joe’s family, I will tell Maggie, “Maggie! We’re going to play with Naomi!” (Naomi is Rachel’s daughter) to which Maggie will say excitedly, “AND RACHEL?!” It’s sure a good thing Rachel loves Maggie because I’m pretty sure Maggie would be heartbroken if we didn’t live less than a mile from her.
Over the years, Rachel has blessed our little family in more ways than just a few. In the summer of 2006, Rachel let Joe, Haylie and I live in her tiny little house while we were in-between houses. We only stayed there for about a week-and-a-half but it was a sacrifice we won’t soon forget.
In the summer of 2007, our family drove to Idaho for a visit. After stressing and crying about my little baby Connor who was not sleeping and full of gas, she took him without a word, went into the bedroom, pumped his legs, swaddled him in a blanket and laid him on his tummy where he slept for 2 whole hours.
In July of 2009, when Rachel had tiny, newborn baby Naomi (who was only a few days old), she welcomed our entire family, her siblings, her parents and almost all of her mom’s side of the family into her home for her brother’s wedding. Her house was meticulous when we arrived but within a half hour was a complete disaster area. She never once complained. Sometimes she would disappear into her room and quietly shut her door. I always felt so bad that we bombarded her during that time and I’m sure she was more than ready for us to leave, but we knew the giant sacrifice she made and are still so grateful.
In the summer of 2010, when I had 6 week old Maggie, we again drove to Idaho for a visit. Rachel and her family were in the middle of selling their house. Her house was completely empty but she let us come and stay in her bedrooms and dirty her kitchen and yard. When Maggie wouldn’t sleep, she again took her from me, swaddled her, patiently rocked her and laid her down to sleep. She’s like a baby whisperer!
Last April, Joe and I moved from Eastern Washington to Wyoming. Rachel and Steve (again) took us in. We were in a tough spot and didn’t know where we were going to end up and so were in a little bit of “house limbo.” They gave us their entire downstairs to stay. They bought groceries, paid bills, occasionally took and picked Haylie up from school, and took us on our own guided tour of the state of Wyoming to see everything it had to offer. And again, although we know that what they did for us was a huge sacrifice, we are so grateful. Right now, we are 3 months away from having a degree and full time job and I know for a fact, we wouldn’t be here had it not been for their generosity.
Lately, I have started working part time, and Rachel has been quick to offer to take Maggie for part of the day. Last week, she took her to the doctor’s office while her own daughter had blood drawn. During the trip, Maggie puked in the waiting room and then fell asleep. Rachel cleaned up the puke and then held her while she slept. That is PURE love, I tell ya’!
I have a lot to learn from Rachel. She is who I want to be like one day. She is quick to pile her car full of kids to take them to McDonald’s for ice cream. She has my kids over for sleep overs. She says yes to the constant tugging on of arms to go and play kiddie games and swing pushes. She puts everyone first. She is the least selfish person I know. She would sacrifice herself for the well being of me and my children and for that, I feel that my sister-in-law is really my Sister.
Rachel, thank you. One day you will be paid back for all of the incredible things you do/have done for us.
Love ya!
2 comments:
I must be post baby for sure..I teared up reading this. What a blessing to you Cassi. Everyone needs a Rachel in their lives. I hope one day I can be a Rachel to someone.
I am so happy for you and your family. I don't know you personally that much at all...but I swear your face beams with the sweetest spirit. You have that glow.
You are so lucky to have such an amazing sister-in-law! I teared up reading this post. How awesome that you get to be so close to her now!
Post a Comment