Dec 11, 2012

BIRTHDAYS ROCK!!!

Today is my birthday!!! Woohoo!!!!

I have this grandma. Her name is Nan, or Nanny or Nana. And she is one of my very best friends. We talk a couple times a week, usually for an hour or so at a time. When I was little, I would go over and spend the night at her house, sometimes several times a month, even though I lived 45 minutes from her house at the time. Once, we were at her house for dinner and my sister kept taking the t.v. remote and changing the channel. So when she wasn’t looking, I took the remote and hid it in the sleeve of my coat. Naturally, my 7 year old self forgot about it and when it was time to go, I put on my coat to leave. I remember noticing that my sleeve felt funny, but got in the car anyway and we left. When we got home, Nan called and asked if we knew where the remote was. Sheepishly, I gave the remote to my mom and she drove it all the way back to Sunnyside. That has nothing to do with it being my birthday, but it’s a fun memory that I have of her.

Every year, my Nan calls me on my birthday, usually between the hours of 5 and 6 a.m. It’s her “thing.” And I love it. Last night, I even called her to ask if she was still going to call me at her usually time (jokingly, of course). And then we ended up talking for over an hour. I love her so much! This morning, her phone call came at 6:15 and was the best one I’ve ever received. It went like this and was said in a low, sultry, late-night-radio-show voice:

“This is radio station N-A-N in Washington. I have a song request for a little girl in Wyoming so I’m going to sing the song. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday sweet little angel. Happy Birthday to you. Now go back to sleep, Roo (my nickname from her).”

Isn’t she the greatest?? I never want to forget this.

3 comments:

Dedre said...

happy birthday!! yesterday was mine.

I need a Nan like yours!!

Brooke said...

Love it! I have a grandma like that as well. I would always beg to stay at her house. We lived about 15 minutes away though so not as far. But I still talk to her just about every day. Glad you had a great birthday!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness what a sweet post...what a lucky gal you are to have such a sweet Nan!