Sep 7, 2010

**MIRACLES**

Yesterday, at approximately 6:45, my sister Kelli was driving down OIE from Benton City towards my mom's house north of Whitstran. A teen aged girl was also driving, but going the opposite direction. She wanted her passenger window down, but the window buttons didn't work on the driver side of her car. She reached over to manually roll it down, but while she was doing so, she didn't notice that her car was drifting into the oncoming lane. Kelli noticed the girl veering into her lane, laid on the horn and slammed on her breaks, but she didn't see my sister's car and so didn't have time to apply her own breaks. She hit her, head on, completely totalling Kelli's car, not to mention knocking her completely unconscious.

I was in my backyard yesterday, when I heard the ambulance(s). It didn't register until later that the ones that I heard were going to pick up my sister, just a mile down the road. Crazy, huh?

Kelli was taken to Kadlec where they took x-rays upon x-rays, CAT scans, and MRI's, etc. Their initial diagnosis was that she probably had a broken shoulder/collar bone because where the seat belt (Thank HEAVENS she was wearing it) held her in, was a pretty nasty cut and bruise. The doctor thought that her ankle might be broken as well because she was complaining about it. She has a pretty large bruise on her left ring finger/knuckle. He also said she probably had a pretty nasty concussion. He was asking her questions which really confused her, and when he'd ask the same question again a couple minutes later she answered them not only correctly, but in detail.

A few short hours later, Kelli was released from the hospital, sore and bruised, with a concussion but not a single broken bone. The other girl, as well, had a sore leg, but (we were told) probably walked out of the hospital the same night.

Now tell me... who gets in a head on collision and walks out unharmed?

My mom called me last night to tell me what had happened, but in all the chaos, left her house without her cell phone. She was calling me from Kelli's phone, so it took me a minute to realize that it wasn't Kelli's voice. She said, "Hey- we're with Kelli at Kadlec. She's been in a pretty severe car accident. SHE'S ALIVE but she's pretty beat up." Of course I initially panicked! She hadn't been able to get a hold of my dad, so I immediately started calling him. I had dialed 4 times with no answer when Joe said, "Let's have prayer." We all got down on our knees and prayed for the safety of Kelli and the other girl involved in the accident. And what a testimony builder this was for me.... as soon as we were done praying, I called my dad again and he answered. He had gone outside to check something in his pickup and saw he had a message on his phone, when I called him.I asked him if he'd talked to my mom- he hadn't- so I said, "Kelli's been in an accident. She's OK, but you should probably head over there." The next thing I thought about was that Corry was all alone at his house. He didn't have a phone there, so I was worried that he would be really upset when he found out about the accident. About a half hour later, Kelli's phone was calling me again, and it was Corry! I was SO relieved. He had been with my dad eating dinner, watching the BSU game at a restaurant.

This all sounds so silly when I go back and read it, but I was just so relieved that no one's feeling were hurt... everyone was at the hospital supporting a very "irritated" and confused Kelli, and mostly that Kelli walked out and is just fine!

Love, love, love my family. I appreciate them so much and have no doubts about how special they are to me, but it sucks that it takes something scary like this to really make the importance of family really clear.

2 comments:

Taryn said...

what a blessing for sure! scary too!

Kendal said...

oh im so glad to hear that kelli is fine.