This, is a really sad and a little bit graphic post. So, if you have a weak stomach, I'd stop reading now.
Our dog, or rather Joe's dog, has Parvo. For those of you who don't know what Parvo is... it's a disease that lives on any imaginable surface. Hot or cold, rainy or windy. It even survives on pant legs and shoes. It's extremely contagious and very deadly. Most dogs get it when they're puppies, and mainly if they haven't had their Parvo vaccination. It's very rare for a dog Danner's age (1.5) to get it. The vaccination comes in 3 different boosters for puppies, and then they should get another one about 8-12 months later. Then, the medication is supposed to last for about 3 years (FYI in case anyone is looking to get a family dog). In Danner's case, he only had the first of the three boosters (STUPID US), and so he caught it, we think when we went down to Idaho for New Years.
When we got home on the 3rd, he started vomiting. Next it was coming out the other end, accompanied by blood (sorry). After there was nothing left to exit his body, he just quit eating. He was still drinking a little bit, but soon after he quit eating, he was throwing up water as well. He's lost about 20 lbs. It's just awful. Poor Joe is just devastated... Danner is his buddy. They LOVE each other and Danner just lights up when Joe walks through the door. I haven't seen very many dogs who love their owner more than Danner.
After we got home from Idaho, we took Danner in to the vet. After it was all said and done, our bill ended up being around $765. I know some people don't like to talk about money, but at this point, it doesn't really matter to me who knows. Danner had to stay at the vet, hooked up to an IV, a catheter, on antibiotic for the blood in his stools, and on vomiting medication. He was there from Monday until Sunday. Saturday morning, Danner ate his food!! We were thrilled! Sunday morning, we went before church and picked him up and he got to come home! We couldn't be any happier! Today, Danner quit eating. Again. He threw up all that was in his stomach: bile. So, here we go again. Tomorrow morning, we are heading back to Sunnyside to try and save his life for the second time. The saddest part about it, is, there's no way we can pay another $800 in the same month. I really hope this Dr. has a trick up her sleeve.
I might be sleeping alone tonight...
3 comments:
That just makes my heart hurt. I never understood it when people were all upset about losing pets until we lost our family dog after 15 years. They really become part of the fam.
That is so sad... I'm so sorry, I hope this week is better for you guys!
Cassi, Oh man that is way to bad! I bet joe is just sick! I didn't realize your dog had been at the vet that long! I sure hope you can get him feeling better! Call and let me know what you find out.
Post a Comment