Jul 4, 2010

Maggie's Birth Day

I wanted to write down how Maggie came into this world, so that I'll never forget it. It seems the longer your kids are alive, the less you remember (obviously). This morning I was laying in bed, looking at Maggie and listening to all of the sounds she was making. I got really sick to my stomach because I couldn't remember certain things about when Haylie and Connor were babies. I don't remember Haylie making baby sounds or cooing or even her cry. :( I guess that should be motivation enough to get me to write on this thing more.

So Maggie was originally due May 15th. About halfway through my pregnancy, Dr. Shroff said I was measuring ahead of schedule and told me we would go with May 10th as a our new date. I was, of course, ecstatic! Well apparently I didn't get the memo or something... they were still going with the 15th at the Dr's. office. Lots of confusion, but in the end, it really didn't matter. My doctor was super cool about letting me pick an induction date, which I really didn't want to do, but I also didn't want to have a 9 lb. baby. So we picked May 13th and called it good. The closer the 13th got, the more anxious I got. What kind of a mother would I be if I willingly had my baby on May 13th? What a number. No one wants to ever have a "Friday the 13th" birthday, right? So, May 11th, I called my nurse and I said, "Cindy. I just can't have a baby on May 13th. Can I come in tomorrow instead?" She loves me. :) She called the hospital and they ok'd it! WOOHOO!!!! Except then, I could remember feeling very anxious. I started thinking, 'Too Soon!' and 'I can't do this!' and 'What if I die delivering?' (yes I really did think that). Joe politely reminded me that one way or another the baby was coming so better sooner than later, right?

The night of May 11th, I didn't sleep very well. I woke up in the morning, early, because the hospital wanted me to call in between 5:30 and 6 to see if they had room. They did and wanted us to be there around 7:30, so we got ready. My friend Bethany, (sweetest girl ever) offered to watch our kids for the morning, even though she had a newborn herself, so we drove over and the kids made themselves right at home. Neither one of them even said goodbye to Joe or me. Oh well, right. Anyway, I remember Beth asking me how I was feeling. I'd been feeling a lot of pressure that morning, so I told her that I thought the baby had dropped. Exciting, right? We got back in the car, and that's when it happened. At 7:00 a.m., my first contraction. They started coming every 14 minutes. Like clockwork. Isn't it funny how your body does that? Every 14 minutes, all the way to the hospital, and for a couple of hours after I got all hooked up. Then they started coming every 10 minutes. And then 5. Then 2-3. When they were 2-3 minutes apart, it was about 10:30. At 10:45 I had one that hurt so bad I thought I was going to die. Like literally. And then, POP! My water broke. It really was like a big POP. Very weird feeling. I told my nurse, "I think I'm ready for my epidural now."

The anesthesiologist came right in. He wasn't a very happy man. I tried cracking jokes, but to no avail. He wasn't budging. I got my epidural, FINALLY, after only 5 pokes in the back. I don't know if he really knew what he was doing... but relief at last! At that point, I was only dilated to a 4. My doctor came in and told me to "dilate slow" (joking obviously) because he had some things to do at the office, but that he would be back. About 11:45, my mom stopped by. She was just checking in and then going to pick up Haylie and Connor at Bethany's. I told her I'd give her a call when things got close. Also at 11:45, I was dilated to a 5. Dr. Shroff eventually came back over, around 1:00. He checked me, and not surprisingly, I was at a 10. Since he was still in his day clothes, he left to go get his scrubs on, and all of a sudden there were like 6 nurses in the room, all buzzing around like bees, trying to get everything ready. By the time everything was prepped it was about 1:18. Dr. came back in, put some gloves on, and then it was 1:20 when I gave the first push. Second push came at 1:21. Third push came at 1:22. And at 1:23, Maggie Lynn was born. It was that quick. She was 7 lbs. 12 oz. and 20" long, our biggest baby yet. We fell in love with her right away. Because she was in the birth canal for such a short amount of time, she was completely perfect. No scratches or bent nose or cone head. :) I just can't imagine a more perfect human being, and what a blessing it is to be able to bring life into this world.

There were so many emotions... for one, I was so overjoyed! I'd wanted a little girl so badly and I just couldn't believe it actually happened. However, it happened so fast, I felt like I didn't get to really experience it. Like I wasn't ready for her to be here yet. Definitely GLAD to not be pregnant anymore. :) Joe opted out of cutting the cord :( Not sure why, but oh well. We are so excited to have her here. She is already 7.5 weeks, which is so bittersweet. I am LOVING watching her going through the first stages in her tiny little life, but wish she would just SLOW DOWN!

I'm so glad I did this, before I forgot the little details. Maybe I'll attempt to put Haylie and Connor's on here too. Love, love, love this baby girl!